You’ve asked the questions and we’ve researched the answers. Please find below the most frequently asked questions and answers regarding the Star Wars BB-8 Droid by Sphero.
If you’re looking for an overview of the BB-8 Droid check out our full review Sphero Star Wars BB-8 Droid Review here.
- 1 What’s the difference between Target’s remote controlled BB-8, and Amazon’s app-enabled BB-8?
- 2 Can the BB-8 Droid run on carpet?
- 3 Does the Sphero BB-8 Droid really have an AI?
- 4 How is the head attached
- 5 Can it take video?
- 6 Is the BB-8 waterproof?
- 7 What version Android is compatible with the app?
- 8 How does the hologram work?
- 9 Will the BB-8 work without its head in place?
- 10 Is it alright to leave the Sphero BB8 toy on the charger for a longtime?
- 11 Do you need to create an account in order to set up the app?
- 12 Can you talk to people with the Sphero BB-8?
- 13 What age is this BB8 toy applicable?
- 14 Is the bb-8 programmable?
- 15 Does the app only work on Wi-Fi?
- 16 Does the Sphero BB8 droid have a camera?
- 17 How long does it take the Sphero BB-8 to charge?
- 18 Can you download the app and use the Fire Table to control the Sphero Droid?
- 19 Can the BB-8 Droid by Sphero detect drop-offs such as the end of a table or stairs?
- 20 Do you need an iPhone to use the Sphero Droid BB-8?
What’s the difference between Target’s remote controlled BB-8, and Amazon’s app-enabled BB-8?
Answer: There are quite a few differences in the BB8 sold at Target and the one sold from Amazon.com.
Target’s BB-8 Droid
- This remote controlled droid is brought to you by Hasbro
- Larger in size than the Sphero bb-8, but not as well made
- Plays more like a toy than technology
- Controlled by a remote control using AA batteries, not app-enabled
- Runs on batteries vs. rechargeable
- Slower in movement
- Sound effects come out of the actual BB-8 device
- It cannot go on “patrol” and explore on its own
Amazon’s BB-8 App-Enabled Droid
- Amazon’s BB-8 App-enabled droid by Sphero – Star Wars the Force Awakens was built for the official movie
- Not as large as the Hasbro bb8, but better quality
- App-enabled (by either iOS or Android mobile app) with rechargeable batteries
- Moves faster and smoother than the Hasbro bb-8 toy
- Sound effects come out of the mobile app rather than the actual bb8
- Head has 2 plastic rollers for a quieter and smoother movement than the Hasbro bb8 toy
Can the BB-8 Droid run on carpet?
Answer: In reality, it depends on the type of carpet 😉
As you might expect, the Sphero BB-8 droid works better on tighter knit carpets like berber vs. a thick plush carpet.
Does the Sphero BB-8 Droid really have an AI?
Answer: The Sphero BB-8 Droid does have sensors in it to tell if it has hit something hard or has turned onto its side. It flashes different colors and makes sounds when it runs into something.
It does understand 10 pre-set voice activated commands like “it’s a trap”, “go explore”, or “go asleep”.
NOTE: For actual Sphero BB-8 Droid customer feedback check out our feature here.
How is the head attached
Answer: The head is attached to the Sphero body magnetically. It’s really easy to attach the BB-8 head.
Can it take video?
Answer: You can take a video through your phone or tablet and then play it back at a later time. The videos are saved at the time of recording.
Is the BB-8 waterproof?
Answer: You should avoid using your Sphero in a pool of water, if it gets splashed it should not affect the device.
What version Android is compatible with the app?
Answer: Android 4.0 or higher is compatible with the Sphero Droid
How does the hologram work?
Answer: You can view the hologram through your phones camera in an augmented reality type of display. The Droid does not actually display the image, it is displayed on your phone.
Will the BB-8 work without its head in place?
Answer: Yes, the Star Wars BB-8 droid will work without its head attached to the body.
Is it alright to leave the Sphero BB8 toy on the charger for a longtime?
Answer: It’s fine to leave the Sphero on the charger after a full charge.
Do you need to create an account in order to set up the app?
Answer: No, you do not need to register for an account prior to using the BB-8 Droid.
Can you talk to people with the Sphero BB-8?
Answer: No, you cannot talk to people with the Droid. In fact, all of the sounds actually come out of the mobile device operating the device. The bb-8 droid actually only lights up.
NOTE: For a more comprehensive look at the Sphero BB8 Droid Features click here.
What age is this BB8 toy applicable?
Answer: The Star Wars Sphero is appropriate for ages 8 and up due to some small parts which could be a choking hazard for your children.
Is the bb-8 programmable?
Answer: No, the BB8 is not programmable. It has been factory programmed to understand 10 factory voice commands.
Does the app only work on Wi-Fi?
Answer: No, the app works off of Bluetooth, not data.
Does the Sphero BB8 droid have a camera?
Answer: No, the Droid device does not have a camera
How long does it take the Sphero BB-8 to charge?
Answer: The Sphero Star Wars BB-8 Droid usually charges in approximately 3 hours with 1 hour of continued use
Can you download the app and use the Fire Table to control the Sphero Droid?
Answer: Yes, you can download and control the Droid bb8 from a Fire Tablet
Can the BB-8 Droid by Sphero detect drop-offs such as the end of a table or stairs?
No, please be careful in using him around places where he can fall large distances.
Do you need an iPhone to use the Sphero Droid BB-8?
Answer: No, you do not need an iPhone to control the BB-8, you can also use an iPad or Android smartphone or tablet.
** To purchase the Sphero bb-8 droid toy click here to go to Amazon.com now!